Saturday, October 1, 2016

The Death of Oldsmobile

I know there had to be a reason why GM dropped Olds and Pontiac. I always thought Olds was the best car in the GM lineup. My memories are locked in the fifties and sixties when Olds had models like the 56 Olds Holiday with a rocket V-8 and an excellent 4-speed automatic. That model had the first radio station seeking mechanism I ever saw. It had one finger touch power steering.
The sixties brought the Toronado with front wheel drive, comfort and power. It was a very advanced car for its time. And who can forget the 4-4-2 Olds with the 400 cubic inch 4-speed manual transmission and dual exhausts? Both were excellent cars. The more staid Olds 88 and 98 provided luxury and comfort.
I got to wondering about why the name died so I did a little research this morning on The Death of Oldsmobile and now I understand the why of it all. The article speaks mainly of how the once innovation leader of the GM brand was shoved to the back of the bus at GM and at one point reduced to using a Chevrolet engine. The quality control that was once a landmark was tossed aside and the once great and powerful V-8 engine was replaced with a limp 2.5 liter that produced a weak 90 horsepower milktoast “X” body GM cookie-cutter.
Now I know the story and all I can think is the once proud brand really died of embarrassment.

Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment