Sunday, August 2, 2015

Angels on Earth

          It was just a few years ago when I fell in the bathroom on November 1 and by Christmas Eve I could not even control a spoon to have my evening soup. I had a subdural hematoma, a condition where there is excessive bleeding in the cranial cavity. In January I ended up in the emergency room and on a surgical table where doctor Mace (excellent surgeon) drilled two 5/8 inch holes in my skull to drain the excess blood from my head. He did a great job and I have survived, but this is not about the surgeon, rather about the nurses in Cox South hospital intensive care unit.

          The nurses were absolute angels in their care of me for however many days I was in the unit. I did not know when I went into surgery if I would live or not. The first nurse I saw afterwards looked like an angel to me. She was so kind and concerned I thought she was an angel. She was also very kind to Joyce when she came into the unit to see me after the surgery.

          I am sure that there are nurses that are not very good, but the ones I had were wonderful. I got to thinking about this today after my rather solemn 70th birthday. The celebration with the kids, grandchild and Rhett's lovely mother was very nice, but the thought of being 70 somehow disturbed me greatly. I am over that today and even though I had thought about my inevitable death at some point, I thought about how close I came just a few years back and came through it well. 

          I do believe in angels on Earth and I can only think they will take care of me for a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment