Thursday, July 16, 2015

MOS at Sea

          Joyce and I were talking today and something was said that reminded me of a navy story from many years ago. I was on my first cruise on the Kitty Hawk. We were just days from leaving the coast of Vietnam to return home after a 9 month cruise when the shop chief came in and said I had orders to cross deck to our relief carrier the Constellation. I would have had to be there for a month or two up to an entire 9 month cruise. It turned out the reason I was being cross decked was because of my MOS (military occupational specialty) which had been mistakenly put into my service jacket. The specialty in my record was for a computer indicator repairman, which I was not. I got to go home with the ship when the chief had a message sent back to navy personnel in Washington. Fast forward when I was transferred from shore based instructor duty years later, I was sent to the Enterprise as a computer indicator repairman because the mistake was never changed in my service jacket. I reported aboard the Enterprise where the same chief was in charge of the shop. I walked in the shop and he said, “I remembered you and thought perhaps our replacement was someone else with the same name.” I ended up transferring to ship’s company to run the intermediate maintenance radio and navigation repair shop. That was fine for me because I had grown tired of working on planes and was anxious to be where the internal equipment maintenance was performed. 
          Is there a lesson to be learned here? If so, the lesson may be that bad shit can follow you even though you have nothing to do with the mistake that happened. 

No comments:

Post a Comment