Friday, April 24, 2015

Masauki Shima, the Most Powerful man I Have Ever Known

Masauki Shima

          This memory just popped out of my head this morning. Back when we lived in Escondido California I took Karate lessons from Masauki Shima for several years. He was the most powerful man I have ever met. Despite the fact he was a gentle man there was an immense power he exuded that was palpable anywhere within 10 feet of him. He had a degree in law and one in chiropractic medicine in Japan, but trained students in karate in California. He was I believe a third degree black belt in the style of karate which he taught and his superior Minobu Miki (a fourth  degree black belt) while being a descendant of a Samurai clan and a mean, haughty, rude man still gave deference to Shima.
          Shima’s power and skill was unmatched. When he would teach a new technique he would for some reason always pick me to demonstrate the skill. Many times with newer students present he would have me attack him from behind and in the blink of an eye he would grab my arm and flip me over his head (I was 180 pounds back then) and drop me on a concrete floor, so smoothly that I never felt an ache or pain. The next step in the technique was to stomp a heel into the attacker’s solar lexis, which lucky for me he did not actually make contact. There was another technique he demonstrated and taught to the local police department which involved taking one’s arm while facing an attacker and one swift motion the attacker would be face down on the ground and his arm would be vertically behind his back with his wrist bent back, making any sort of movement impossible. Great amounts of pain could be inflicted with no effort on the part of Shima or a policeman using it on an unruly suspect. I could never learn the move, but I wish I could. Though he used it demonstrating the move on me many times he always knew how to make me immobile and showed how easily great amounts of pain could be dished out but never actually hurt me.
Shima’s superior Miki, however took delight in delivering some painful blows when he appeared on his rounds. It was sheer luck for me that Miki always picked my friend Ralph to demonstrate his prowess upon. Ralph was a handsome Italian tough ex-navy Seabee and I do not know why Miki always picked him, but I thought better him than me. I could hear the thumps when Miki punched or kicked Ralph in the chest. Miki did not use his full force, just enough to show off his skills.
          Shima encouraged his students to go to tournaments around southern California and I went to a few, but never won any. Shima did a demonstration at one tournament that I still remember vividly. He was to break a concrete block with his bare fist. Now a person can build a house foundation with concrete blocks so they are pretty tough. Shima was in the middle of the auditorium to do the demonstration. He took a moment to concentrate. The trick to breaking a board or a block is to deliver the blow with full force and at the same instant pull back the fist. Should the timing not be perfect, the force of the blow radiates right back up the arm instead of smashing the board or the block. I do not know what spoiled Shima’s concentration, but his timing was off and his fist became a bloody stump. Now for any normal man that would have ended the demonstration, but not Shima. He knelt by the block for another minute and then delivered a smashing blow that shattered the concrete block into pieces. I cannot to this day know how painful it was to complete the task, but he did it.

           One more brief story occurred one evening in our class. Shima was teaching the class when a local gang walked into the studio. There were I believe eight of them that came in the door. Shima turned the class over to Ralph and walked over to where the eight were milling around. He placed himself in the middle of them and just folded his arms, not even facing them, but as I said his projection of power was palpable to anyone around him. The eight were headed out the door in no time at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment