Friday, February 13, 2015

Umami

Friday February 13, 2015 I do not like watching commercials on TV. I say that with one exception, that is the Sonic commercials with the two guys who are always saying silly and even dumb things in the commercials as they sit in their car preparing to eat their Sonic delights. One of the latest commercials has them in their car talking about new flavors of Sonic drinks with a food critic in the back seat. The critic asks them to expound on the taste of the drinks and uses the word umami. I thought at first that they had gone to the point of making up words to press the joke. I discovered I was wrong when I was reading an article about Doritos in Reader’s Digest. The word popped up in the article. The word umami describes a savory taste that makes saliva and is pleasant. I am going to reference Wikipedia here as my technical backstop. The article is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umami. Here are two excerpts from a long article 
Many foods that may be consumed daily are rich in umami. Naturally occurring glutamate can be found in meats and vegetables.
Many humans' first encounter with umami is breast milk.[27] It contains roughly the same amount of umami as broths.
Well after the first encounter statement I think I understand the whole umami thing now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment