Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Laptops and their problems

Wednesday February 4, 2015 my laptop was running its fan constantly so I looked at the back side and found the exhaust was clogged with dust. I removed the back cover and cleaned the port and the fan itself. While I was in there I looked at the mother board and saw its components were so small and therefore so close together that I could not even replace any if them if I had to replace one. When I first started with electronics, the components were as big as my pinky finger and separated by wide margins. Back in the day I could fix TV sets by removing large vacuum tubes from their sockets and replacing them with tubes I could buy at any drug store. Don’t ask me why drug stores sold them, but they did. Now the mother boards in computers have to have a wave soldering machine to remove a single component and I don’t even know how they can do that. Today I just removed the back cover and cleaned everything around the cooling fan. I took some pictures just to show how things have changed so much in the last 40 years. My cleaning seemed to work.
This is a shot of the mother board beside the hard drive.


This is a shot of the memory chips.


This is a shot of the hard drive. These were as big as a cigar box when I started working on computers and they only held 5 million bytes of data. Now they are this small and they hold 350 billion bytes of data.






No comments:

Post a Comment