Friday, January 30, 2015

My Pipes Were Leaking

I found a leak in the basement plumbing. I despise anything related to plumbing!  The symptoms indicated it might have been somewhere along the plastic pipe leading to the faucet, but it turned out to be the faucet itself. It started as an imperceptible drip, but the floor under the faucet was wet. I tried to wiggle the pipe, but once I did, the drip turned into a more severe drip, so I shut off the water and cut the pipe leading up to the faucet. I had enough fittings to replace the elbows, but not a new section of the pipe, so off to the hardware store I went with all the parts I had cut off in a sack. It turned out the faucet had cracked at the threads. I replaced the faucet and the pipe. I would have had to cut the pipe anyway because plastic pipe is all glued together. That is where the rub comes in with plastic pipe because one cannot turn or remove the plastic, you can only cut and replace it. I got it back together and it seemed to be holding. The next morning I went down into the basement and as luck would have it, the leak was fixed and the floor was nice and dry. One more victory for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment