Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Nurses

It was just a little over two years ago, or maybe more or less, as my memory isn't what it was whenever something, anyway I love nurses.
I had my brain surgery and spent nearly a week or maybe more or less in ICU whatever that is. Anyway I think I remember some very wonderful nurses that took care of me. Before the surgery I thought maybe I would be dead that evening. I was OK with that at the time, but was hoping I would live to see my wonderful wife and children and grandchild again. I remember the prep nurses feeding me some of the best IV drugs on the planet prior to surgery and to them I say thanks for the memories or lack there of. I remember waking up on the surgical table and feeling I had to take the biggest whiz of my life. The surgical people, men and women kept pushing me back down telling me they had put in a catheter and I should lay back down and not worry. All I could think of was if someone was handling my, shall I say my unmentionables, I should have been awake to perhaps enjoy it.
I was wheeled into the ICU after passing out again along the way through the seemingly endless hallways and when I awoke there was the loveliest nurse I have ever seen beside me. She was to put it mildly more sensitive than whatever the name of whomever is that most famous nurse that everyone hears about in history.
My memories of that time are fading and I could not pick a single nurse who attended me out of a lineup, not that any of them would end up in a lineup, but I have profound love for those who took care of me.
I was thinking today as I had a beer or maybe two about videos I have seen on PBS about ancient Egyptians and how they knew to drill holes into people's brains to relieve pressure, which is what the doctors did to me, but I wonder if those on the tables centuries had anything like the good drugs I had to put me out of consciousness? I think my doctors had nice fixtures to hold the drills steady and go into my skull just enough, but not too much to drill out my gray-matter, but I don't know about those early Egyptians who probably had just hand made drills and may have killed dozens of patients before they developed the technique to save lives.
And again, the nurses, how beautiful were Egyptian nurses? Not so much as the ones I had I think.Long ago(really just 2.5 years) and far away(really just about 30 miles) I had a successful surgery that many centuries ago people did not have available.
My only complaint was all the tubes in both arms and stuck into my cranial cavities made it very difficult to turn over at night while sleeping.
I thank God that there are men and women who choose the nursing profession and do well at it. And when my time is nigh and I may well be in hospice, I hope the nurses are pretty and the drugs they dispense to manage my pain are quite good. If I am out of my mind at that time I may even propose to one or more of them as I lay on my deathbed, not even realizing I am married to Joyce, but I am sure she will understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment