Thursday, July 31, 2014

On My Birthday Long Ago but Not So Far Away

Here’s one I haven’t thought of in 53 years. On my 16th birthday I went to the license bureau to get my driver’s permit. I had studied the manual for a week and scored 100% on the test. That night I took my Mother out to dinner at a fancy Greek restaurant in Saint Louis where my cousin waited tables on the dinner shift. I was so proud to be able to drive and to take my Mother out to supper. That was July of 1961 and with 5 of us kids at home, my Mother was rarely able to go places. Mom was just 38 at the time and still a beautiful woman, proud of me as I was of her. I can’t remember what we had for dinner, but it was wonderful to just to have her undivided attention for a short time.
After dinner we went to the Fox theater in downtown Saint Louis to see Disney’s “The Parent Trap” with Brian Keith and Maureen O’Hara and introducing the young British star Hailey Mills.

We might have looked like the Beverly Hillbillies in Dad’s old 53 Chrysler station wagon with a plywood board for a back window, but it was a big night for me. In remembrance of this event, I just ordered a DVD of that movie to watch on my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment