Sunday, December 16, 2012

Christmas Onboard


 
Christmas 1972 in the gulf of Tonkin
I was nearly as sad as I’d ever been
Onboard the aircraft carrier Enterprise
Away from all my family ties
The onboard delivery plane was about to land
The postal clerks were there at hand
The air group and sailors aboard
Eagerly awaited letters they adored
Billy Graham was aboard for a Christmas event
Midnight services on an open hangar bay without a tent
One of the world’s greatest preachers was there to see
For hundreds of sailors including me
I could have been tucked away in my bunk
Trying to sleep away my Christmas funk
There was a war going on and I was away
No family for me on Christmas day
A Christmas without family, decorations or tree
Just airplanes to repair on 3 decks above me
That was my last Christmas away
But I think about it this very day
40 years ago and yet I must say
Still soldiers and sailors fight in lands far away
On the day we celebrate the Prince of Peace
The peace is never owned; it’s only on lease
Truth be told, I’ll be dead and gone
But the wars, well they will continue on

 

No comments:

Post a Comment