Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Disturbance


This little story happened nearly 4 months ago. I had written it in my notebook, but never sent it out.
 
The Disturbance
 
Sunday September 2, 2012 I felt there was a disturbance in the force.
Something was wrong, but I did not know what it was.
I took a walk in the woods in the late morning and there
I saw the reason for the disturbance.
An old hickory tree, perhaps over a hundred years of age had died.
The once majestic tree had finally succumbed to age,
all sixty feet of the giant with its three foot diameter trunk stood before me, lifeless.
Its leaves were all gone;
its branches were broken and all that remained was a shell of the once mighty tree.
It saddened me to contemplate the loss.
I wondered how could there be any good in this loss.
My eyes fell from the tree top to the ground around it and there,
under where the tips of once mighty branches had thrived in the sun’s rays,
stood the offspring of the hickory,
its many seeds had sprouted and were slowly rising skyward.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment