Monday, April 4, 2011

Verizon Update

Good News!

After four days without wireless Internet service I am back on line. I received a message from Verizon that there was a firmware update available, so I selected ok. It ran for a few moments and then crashed my wireless device. I called for tech support, which was very good, but the device was shot forever. I was immediately suffering from withdrawal. It ended up being five days without service, so during the period I wrote this little story.

I was logging onto the Internet
A message from Verizon
Said there was  new firmware I had not updated yet

It asked me if I would like to comply
There were no details as to why

I assumed it would give me better service
So I clicked the button marked OK
There seemed no reason to be nervous

A dialog box opened with a progress bar
So far so good
But the progress did not go too far

Ten minutes later progress ground to a halt
A message said, “reset”
It was not my fault

I reset my Verizon device
And then started again
But soon after it failed twice

I reached for the telephone
Dialed tech support
So I would not face this alone

The tech guided me pace by pace
We tried everything
But ended up going no place

He gave up and sent a new device
It arrived the next day
It was surprising and very nice

I dialed the phone to activate
It was done quickly
Suddenly things seemed great

She told me to connect on line
I clicked the mouse
The system appeared to be fine

The message was back requesting update
The tech said ok
But she could not wait

She said she would call back in fifteen or so
I hoped she would
I had nowhere else to go

The update process whirled and purred
It seemed to be working
This time it appeared to be undeterred

Then long about the ten minute point
Everything stopped
The update unhinged totally out of joint

The tech guided me as far as she could go
But the update killed the replacement
Why that happened no one could know

She said she would send me one more
Update failure unknown
Do not update she did implore

Now I am back on line
Things are great
Everything is fine

No comments:

Post a Comment