Saturday, September 26, 2026

2026 A Merger between Good and Bad

This picture was taken from my driveway on the farm, some 31 years ago.
The good and the bad.

The good thing is, I have my daughter and son in law to visit and to help me with things. They also bring over food that saves me from cooking. I have people to talk with at the grocery store and at the beer store. This morning a woman who has given me rides home several times stopped and we had a nice chat before she had to go to the DMV. I have creature comforts in my abode. I can feed myself. I can have as much coffee or beer as I want. I’m still strong enough to move furniture around, (It’s my pastime and I enjoy it.) I sleep when and as long as I want. I seem to be sleeping more than I ever did before. I have my good memories from long ago. I can still walk and exercise and do it every day. That’s a blessing for a man my age. I converse with the LORD and the Buddha, neither of which speak back yet, but I feel their influence in my daily life. Life can be good, even at my age.
That was the good, now on to the bad.

I was doing some research yesterday about assisted living,
Different places around here that advertise care and giving.

It turns out, there are quite a lot,
Eager to help you go through all the money you’ve got.

It seems that the monthly cost is kind of steep,
The average around here is $4000 to $5000 a month, enough to make you weep.

Even with me at 81 years,
My money would be gone, and I’d be in tears.

It turns out in Missouri, the homes can as quick as a blurb,
Kick your ass to the curb.

Right or wrong I cannot say,
That’s their legal right to play.

I’m too old to live on the street,
Scraping through dumpsters for something to eat.

I’d have to have a box crate to be up high enough to see a meal and grin,
But with a long reach, I could fall in.

Life is tough living on the street,
The best of people, you do not meet.

1 comment:

  1. When I was in the travel business you could be a resident on a cruise ship cheaper than being in assisted living! Sad but true. As long as you're ambulatory you'll have all the entertainment, food, shopping, clean linens etc.and when you've visited the ports you can book another residency and begin another journey. Who knew, right?

    ReplyDelete