Wednesday, August 5, 2026

260805 The Sentinel

Long ago I read a science fiction book titled “The Sentinel”

A space traveler was going planet to planet looking for live beings. He landed on one planet that had no life forms, but it had a statue called The Sentinel

I remembered back in navy bootcamp; each floor had overnight sentries with four hour watches for fires. The sailor on watch was a sentinel. Any sailor on watch had to, when challenged, spout out the 10 general orders of a sentry on watch. Don't ask me what the 10 general orders of a sentry were, because I never said them again. That was 1963, a long time ago.

For some reason that stuck with me and when I started writing stories and sending them to readers, I labeled the post as “The Sentinel.”

I think I’ll call my current posts “The Sentinel.” I guess I'm going back in time, but it was a good time.


No comments:

Post a Comment