Tuesday, August 18, 2026

2026 Time passes

Time goes by, somethings change, some don't.

I had my first cool breeze seep over me this morning. It was well appreciated.

I noticed that sundown here is 8:00 pm. Now that’s a big step and I’m happy. We are moving toward September and cooler weather (Hopefully).

In the late 80’s Joyce and I were going to the casino in Miami, Oklahoma. We loved the card tables and the dealers there. Sometimes we won and sometimes we lost, but we always had a good time.

One day it got late and I said to Joyce that we needed to head for home because we hadn't booked a hotel room. The pit boss was a friend and she said she could get us a room if we wanted to stay. Joyce loved that place, so I said get us a room. She did and we were set.

We were drinking beer and playing cards all day and into the evening. Joyce could drink and never seemed drunk, while I was different I showed I had a load on.
I had to leave the table and go to the restroom which was a hike and not close to where we were gambling. I left the restroom and on the casino sound track came Gloria Estefon and her big hit song “Conga.” I never was much of a dancer, but I heard the song and started doing the conga dance. As I went down the aisle (passing the slot machines) I was in a happy place. What I didn’t know was all the women playing the machines left their machines and fell into the conga line behind me. The line got pretty long and I was nearing the card table where Joyce was sitting. The card dealer said: “There’s a man doing the conga and there’s a whole line behind him.” Joyce turned and said:”That's my husband.” She turned back to the table and said: “Deal some cards.” When Joyce was playing cards for money the rest of the world didn’t matter.

September 4th 2026 is the 63rd anniversary of my enlisting in the United States Navy.

September 14th 2026 is the 5th anniversary of Joyce’s passing.

My first days in the navy were dreadful, but as time went by I loved it.

My first day of Joyce’s passing was dreadful; as time has gone by, I cry a little less but not much less.

No comments:

Post a Comment