Thursday, April 6, 2023

Purpose

What we have done in the past is important. What we do now and into the future is even more important.

I used to think I was retired. At first, I thought that was a swell deal for me. I had worked hard at all of my jobs, paid taxes and now it was time to collect some rocking chair money.

When my wife passed away I felt lost, a ship without a rudder, adrift in a vast sea of disappointment; I had no more purpose in life. I began to feel worthless, living off my social security.

The first of this month, my outlook changed. I sat at my desk looking at all of my monthly bills I had to pay and worrying how I was going to afford them as inflation continues to ramp up every month, digging ever deeper into my income. My groceries cost more, as does my insurance and my rent just took a giant dump on me.

Suddenly, out of the blue sky above, I realized my purpose in life is clear. I and my senior cohorts are job creators! We create jobs for Walmart workers, Anheuser Bush breweries, rental companies, doctors, nurses, the U.S. army, navy, marine corps, school systems, libraries, the towns we live in, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, truck drivers, fuel workers, electric companies and more.

We seniors, in our ever greater numbers, all have a purpose late into our lives because we create jobs. We seniors are the backbone of this country's economy. U.S.A. you are welcome!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, I thought it was something worth writing about. It makes me feel better about myself in the scheme of things.

      Delete