Monday, October 4, 2021

211004 Letter to Joyce #10

Dear Joyce,

This picture was Joyce and my mother taking a break after a cooking marathon for a get together. I do not remember what it was but they were obviously having fun.

It’s been 21 days since your passing. I am on a steep learning curve; trying to do all the things you did for all our years together. The task is difficult and I suppose I could skirt my way around it by living on fast food restaurant cooking, but I have chosen to take the path I have less traveled.

I know I have watched you preparing meals with all of the wonderful spices and such you added to create your culinary delights, but watching and then having to do what I saw you do are two entirely different things. I wish now that I had participated more than I ever did. Everything I do now requires reading instructions to follow for anything that needs to be heated and cooked. You could get things going and then join me for a drink while supper cooked away. I on the other hand have to be right there watching, learning as I go.

The first thing I have discovered is kitchen duty should rate hazardous duty pay. When I was in the navy I received extra pay because flight crews were considered to be hazardous duty. In all my time in the air I never got a scratch. Now in the kitchen I am finding everything can cut, scrape or burn a hand or both hands. Now I know why your once beautiful hands had become marred by all the years you cooked for me and our guests.

As Always, I send you my love,
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment