Saturday, January 18, 2020

The Big Secret 200118

      I watched a movie back in 1991 titled "City Slickers."



      The movie had Billy Crystal and Jack Palance. I enjoyed the movie immensely. There was one scene when Crystal and Palance are riding along a trail out west. Crystal was having trouble with his marriage and life. He knew Palance was a happy man, so he asked him what was the secret of life? Palance raised one finger. Crystal asked the secret of life is one finger? Palance replied "one thing." That scene puzzled me for decades now. What does one thing mean?

      I kept thinking about that all through the years, more so as the years went on, until this morning. I had become like so many people these days, multi-tasking and dealing with what is called monkey mind. Monkey mind is when a person's brain has a constant track of things running through one's head like a movie reel, making it difficult to concentrate on one thing at a time. I had trouble getting to sleep at night because my brain was going like a runaway train. I could't meditate properly and was making a lot of mistakes in daily life because my mind was always one or two steps ahead of what I was trying to do, so I was making those simple mistakes.

      Today it suddenly made sense to me. The answer is to live in the moment. The past is gone, the future is uncertain and perhaps non-existent. Think about the one thing you are doing and then your life begins to change. Maybe some of you already know this, but for those who are yet to realize this simple thing, I hope it may change your life for the better.

      

      

      

      

      

Copyright Bill Weber 2006-2026 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment