Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Wealth? 191001

      At one time I thought we were wealthy.



      We had the expensive home, the nice car, expensive furniture and even a stack of the Kruegerrands pictured above. We seemed to have every material thing anyone could want.
      Then I began to wonder if I owned all that or if all that owned me? Joyce and I still worked the same jobs and I worried that some bad guy who doesn't work could break into our home and destroy everything we had. Having what we did, there was always a fear of losing what we had.
      I remember when I went aboard ship many years ago and all I had was in a small sea bag. I had basically nothing, but I also had no worries. Life was simple and direct. The captain pointed the ship where he was told to go and all of us followed. A mile or two from shore it was too far to swim and all of those darn sharks in the Pacific were a great deterrent. I owned nothing and therefore had nothing to lose.
      I do not advocate becoming a street person and never want to live there, but who knows what the future will bring? My thinking is and has been if a man has nothing, he has nothing to lose. We all pass on at some point and as the old saying goes, "you can't take it with you."
      I do not mean to tell anyone what he/she should be doing and if being whatever is considered wealthy to you makes you happy I am happy for you. The feeling just didn't work for me. Now that our income is barely above the poverty line, we are good with whatever comes in the future and worry less than ever before.
      I feel we are more willing to share what we do have than ever before.
      
      
Copyright Bill Weber 2006-2019 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment