Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Texas and Oklahoma 190917

      It has been a great day today. One has to cherish any day he/she classifies as great. Those days do not happen as often as we would like.



      I met a wonderful pair of Texans today, Phil Watkins and his wife Bev. Joyce and I had just bought a desk. It was one of those with assembly required. I had no idea it would be so heavy as it was. We managed to get it into the trunk in the store parking lot, but getting it back out and into the house was maybe more than we bargained for. We were struggling to get it out when this big Texan, Phil, came running over to help. Now Phil was 3 years older than me, but stronger than a longhorn steer. As we got the box out of the trunk Bev was telling Phil to help me get it into the apartment and he did so.

      Once inside we talked, or rather listened as Phil unwound a few stories as any good Texan would do. He was quite a character and a true delight to listen to this afternoon. He had already been moving a washer and dryer into the apartment next door for his daughter and was still full of energy to help us. I don't know how we would have handled the situation on our own.

      This Texas appreciation stems from our meeting Eleanor and Barry in the last 2 weeks or so; they are also from Texas. Those kind and smart Texans sure have changed my opinion about Texas folks. I have known Janice and Gene (also Texans) for decades now and it kind of makes me wonder if I ever leave this state I am definitely thinking about Texas, southern, not the panhandle, though even some of our experiences with the panhandle weren't all that bad except for one.

      God love Texas! It is one of if not our most patriotic states and the home of 3 presidents in modern history, my favorite Texas president George H. W. Bush a true hero and a naval aviator (youngest ever) God rest his soul. Lest I forget, Barbara Bush a grand first lady. It sounds like I am ready to hand out Texas brochures today. Maybe I am after thinking about the swell people I have met from there.

      By the way, I am fond of Oklahoma too, having so many nice friends from there that are also terrific people. One last thing, who can deny the Red River showdown of college football on October 2 this year between Oklahoma Sooners and the Texas Longhorns? Now I don't know who to root for, but I am sure friends from both states will be advising me. Whatever team wins it will be a real good game. I have an idea of who will win, but will not divulge my guess.


Copyright Bill Weber 2006-2019 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment