Tuesday, January 1, 2019

It's a New Year! 190101


      

      So now it is 2019 a new year, but so far nothing seems to be new to me. I had my coffee, had my cereal and scrubbed out the shower. So what is new and fun about that? It seems so many people think that by a clock turning from 11:59 to 12:00 in the morning things will somehow be different from then on through the next year.
      My mother used to cook black-eyed peas every new year's day because somehow it was good fortune. That and always hoping the first man to come through the door would be a red-headed man for a really prosperous year. That never happened until I was a grownup and my aunt married a red-headed man, whom mom invited every year to be the first man through our door. That really sounded silly to me and then again, once he did, mom and dad's prosperity did change for the better. It stayed that way until my aunt and her husband moved too far away to be there on new year's day. So who am I to deny superstition?
      No one knows what the new year will bring; it is however, my sincere wish is that it is a very good year for you.
      
Copyright Bill Weber 2018 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment