Thursday, December 13, 2018

The days after everything got quiet 181213



      I started writing this a few days ago. It was meant to be just a what if piece. Yesterday we had a total loss of internet and TV for our whole area that lasted for several hours. During that time I had an actual experience of what happens when things go quiet. In just those few hours it was a very creepy event. The thought of it happening for weeks at a time with no internet, TV and electric is scarier than even my imagination could create. Add that to nuclear destruction of major cities and it becomes a nightmare beyond anything ever experienced anywhere in history. Read on, only if you dare.
      One night in mid 2019 there was a huge flash in the normally dark sky. The flash was so bright it woke me up. It was still summer and I thought it was just another thunderstorm rolling in on us. The wind picked up dramatically and hot air filled the house. It didn't last for long, so I rolled over and went back to sleep. The next morning I awakened and went into the kitchen to make some coffee. I put the fresh grounds in the pot, poured in some water and hit the start button, but nothing happened. I thought maybe the flash from last night might have knocked out power for a bit. I stepped outside and saw some folks getting into their cars to go to work, but it seemed odd that they would be going in as late as I thought it was. I picked up my cell phone to call the power company, but had no service. I thought it must be out all over this area and that would explain why everyone was so late. I sat down on the patio and just enjoyed the quiet of the morning. I sure would liked to have had some coffee with my morning, but it was not to be today. An hour or so later the same people who had left for work came driving back into the parking lot. I didn't know where they worked, but I got the impression power must have been out all over the surrounding cities and they were just sent home for the day. Joyce got up and walked outside and she asked, "did you drink all the coffee and not make anymore?" I told her there was no power so I couldn't make any coffee.
Joyce asked, "Did you call the electric company?"
I replied, "no cell phone service."
"That's odd, did you pay the phone bill?" She asked. I said I did, but there are no signal bars on the phone, the towers must have lost power too.
      We had a friend from Tulsa Oklahoma stop by a couple of days later. He was headed to Saint Louis to check and see if his parents were okay, but he was low on gas and there wasn't a station open between Tulsa and here. He stayed a few days, but there was still no power, so we siphoned the gas out of our car so he could go on to Saint Louis. It was day after day of clouds that blocked our sun and the power didn't come back on.
       It turned out that when the power started to come back on we found out the nation had been attacked with nuclear missiles, we here in Podunk town were not worth the cost of a missile anywhere nearby. When the backup power came back on for our military sites, this nation launched our own missiles. It wasn't clear where the ones that hit our country were launched from, so the decision was made to go after every nation that was known to have similar weapons and that was what happened.
      Back in the middle ages when the black plague ravaged the world and killed nearly half of the population, there was a little song children sang. It went like this:
Ring around the rosy
Pocket full of poesy
Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
It pertained to the millions of lives lost.

      It turned out there was a new song that traversed our country that was similar in nature. It went like this:
This was our Regina
Her skin turned a red patina
Ding, dong, ding.
Now she's in a coffin.
It happens very often.
Ding, dong, ding.       
      
Copyright Bill Weber 2018 and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment