Friday, October 12, 2018

Computer Woes 181012



      I relearned more lessons about electronic devices this week.

      I was working on developing a new web site for a local flea market. I started by making the site as a test vehicle, just to see how it would work using a new program on a new server. The test worked well, so I thought I was ready to go from the old server to the new one. I went to the flea market on Wednesday to take pictures of all the booths. I came home ready to process the pictures and add comments to them. I had to change the name of the site slightly (3 characters) to preserve the test site and start on the real site. I spent roughly 15 hours getting the new site up and running. Then when I was ready to publish the new site (I had done everything and it looked the way I wanted), so I was about to publish it, but when I checked the link to the new site, it came up with the test site on 2 different laptops. I could not get one to show all of my work on the new site.
      With 15 hours into the project I was sick to my stomach. I then went on for another 5 hours, at first to try and use what I had on the test site. That was going to take too long to accomplish because I had a deadline to meet to publish. I went back to searching for the site I had already completed. It took another 5 hours for me to finally find the site again. I was so frazzled by the time I found the site; I do not even remember how I found it. Finally I did and everything was there as I had built the new site and I got it posted in time to meet my deadline. All of this was mixed in with my WiFi intermittently crapping out on me, just to make the mixture even worse.
      The points I want to make are these that follow. Electronic devices always seem to falter when I am pressed to meet a deadline, but rarely when I am just pecking keystrokes. Computers are so very finicky about syntax (absolute correctness of whatever you type, especially when writing any HTML code or Java script). Usually doing a search on Google I type a word or two and I have thousands of possibilities because Google scans the web for everything there and then they can give so many results. In my case, I was just creating the new site and it was not yet scanned by Google, so my typing just the part of the site address I had just made was not there and using a cut off version of the link kept bringing up the test site. It was an additional 5 hour nightmare, but such an elation when I finally beat the computer at its own game.

No comments:

Post a Comment