Friday, September 21, 2018

Notes 180921



      I just got my electric bill this morning and there was a nice folder in there about the environment. I could save paper and pay my bill on line and help the environment. I thought that would be nice and easy, that is until I saw the tiny print below. I mean it was nearly in microscopic print and it said there will be a convenience fee of an additional $3.50 to pay on line and save their office clerks work. It seems the only convenience in that is for the electric company, not for me. It costs me 48 cents to mail the bill and I go right past the post office nearly every day. I had this before with the trash bill and it too was $3.50; I only did that one time. It seems to me like the businesses offer it, but do not want me to actually do it. The business is not wanting to save the environment or they would make it free or nearly free to do that. Those online bills go through a third party and that third party makes money, a massive profit for perhaps 2 cents worth of server time and I would bet my last dollar the electric company gets a rake off from them to boot.
      I know people in Springfield who have trash collection and the company there charges extra every month to take the recycled trash away; I wonder where they take that recycled trash?
      I remember years ago when there were several companies in Springfield that recycled aluminum cans and paid a decent price to me for that. But then the companies that use aluminum cans decided not to go through whatever the process was to re-use them, so the companies that took cans shut down and now we all are paying extra for the cans when we buy soft drinks or beer in cans. When I was a child soft drinks were in glass bottles and there was a 2 cent deposit on them, 6 empties would buy a full bottle of Coca-Cola or Pepsi, but then grocery stores did not want to bother with handling the empties so that recycling went away. Now by not recycling bottles, we are using up all the sand and in many places the beaches are turning into mud. I guess the bottling companies don't care to save the environment either. So what I come away with today is I could pay extra to pay my electric bill online and save a piece of paper, but then the electric company chooses to use coal instead of gas, so I do not think they care about the environment.
      Now if the can industry and the bottling companies and the electric companies would do their part to save the environment where there would be massive improvements, my paying $3 extra to save a single piece of paper seems silly. Beside that, the paper companies regrow trees for paper and they recycle old paper. Trees are as far as I know the only renewable resource I can think of at the moment. If I sound annoyed with all this chicanery, well I am.
      When did Coffee-Mate first start?...... 1961 and I loved it!
      What is the difference between vanilla bean ice cream and French vanila? The French vanilla starts with an egg cream base. No wonder it tastes better to me.
      I wrote earlier about people being phone crazy. Well it has gone even further now. Joyce bought some new sheets for our company last week and surprise, the new sheets have phone pockets on both sides of the bottom sheet so even in the middle of the night people can get a phone call and get to the phone without getting out of bed. It is a technological marvel and I'm not kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment