Saturday, September 8, 2018

Kisses Sweeter than Wine



      Jimmy Rodgers "Kisses Sweeter than Wine" this was first recorded in 1951. I was thinking about this song today. I reminds me so much about when I met Joyce more than a decade later, without the 4 kids and 8 grandchildren. It is a wonderful song. He had another song, "Honeycomb" in 1957 that was a dandy. I remember it from when I was in the Crossroads tavern that year with my uncle Tom and aunt Irene. They would take me fishing with them on weekends. They were both big drinkers (who wasn't in my family) they had a convenient little rented house for weekends right next to the Crossroads tavern in Calhoun County, Illinois. Many times it would rain all weekend so they would take me to the tavern (conveniently located within walking distance) and we would spend the weekend there, with all the soft drinks I could swallow. I remember one day there I had to use the restroom. The restrooms were marked not men or woman, but pointer and setter. I came back to the bar and told my aunt about that. She asked me which one I used. I said, "I used the setter because all I could think of was I knew an Irish Setter was a big dog" (I suppose I thought I was a big dog back then). My aunt clued me in on the meaning of pointer and setter. I was so young back then.
      
      
      

No comments:

Post a Comment