Thursday, March 22, 2018

A funny thing happened 1803


       This morning Joyce wanted to have some raisin-bran muffins for breakfast. She makes the batter up in large quantities. We have one muffin tin on the day she makes the batter and the other 2 parts go into 2 containers and then into the freezer. This morning she pulled out the last one from the freezer, let it thaw a bit and I scooped it out and filled the muffin tin. I put it in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes just like always. At 15 minutes I pulled the tray out, but it looked like it wasn’t cooked at all and the muffins did not rise to fill the tin. Joyce said to put it back in for 3 more minutes and I did so. They still did not bake properly. We sat and discussed the issue for a few minutes, wondering if the oven was not working properly, but then decided perhaps the dough had somehow failed. I left the muffin tin just sitting on the stove top while we went to the grocery store. We got back home and Joyce started to empty the tin when she looked at me and said, “I know why the muffins didn’t rise.”
       “What was it” I asked.
       “It wasn’t muffin mix; it was frozen chicken and gravy!” As she scooped out the muffin tin she could then smell that it was the chicken and gravy.
       Getting old isn’t for the weak of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment