Saturday, January 20, 2018

The Book 180120


I sat leafing through the book to see
An anthology of American poetry
As I did so my fingers left traces of DNA
And on those pages it will forever lay
The book was published in 1944
The only time it was new in a store
The first owner penned her signature
Evangeline Rosecrans to be sure
Her DNA is in the book too
Our DNA minced by thumbing through
I do not know her and she will never know me
Yet we have a bond through this book of poetry
I acquired the book through a second hand store
It has been owned by who knows how many more
Each of us has shared an experience
With every other owner hence
Though none of us will ever meet
All of them I would like to greet
I know what we would share
Enjoyment of poems written there

No comments:

Post a Comment