Friday, September 16, 2016

Interesting Algorithms

I watched a Netflix show about algorithms last night. I am no mathematician, but I did enjoy the program. An algorithm is a series of steps to solve a problem, highly used in computers. Algorithms were first used in the year 850 and developed by Mohammed ibn-Musa al- Khwatizmi who is also credited with the development of algebra.
Algorithms are essential to our lives in so many ways. They are what makes factories run, defense radar and air control radar work. Every time we do a search on the internet, we use algorithms. They were certainly important to Larry Page and Sergey Brin, the founders of Google. Their algorithm for search engines took them from a home garage to what Google is today, a company estimated at five hundred billion dollars valuation.
It turns out that even on Netflix they use an algorithm to figure out what shows they suggest for you. You will not even notice, but it works in very simple terms like this: You select one show you like from their vast array of content. With that first selection they divide up all of their shows into two columns, shows related to what you selected and what is not related. I started with a WWII documentary. The next thing I selected was a stand up comedy show. That divided all the shows they had into another two pieces. Then I selected a Netflix TV series and that split their content again. In just three selections they have a very good idea of what I like and what they will suggest. I can still search and change to a different type show and watch it, but no matter, with every selection the algorithm changes and offers more to watch.

The list of possibilities goes on and on with algorithms but I think you can get an idea of what they are from my humble explanation. I have never created a computer algorithm, never will, but the concept fascinates me.
I worked all my life as a troubleshooter in electronic equipment and troubleshooting any failure, electrical or mechanical is actually using an algorithm. You view the symptoms, then divide the possible solutions into two parts, what could be the problem and what could not. Next divide the possibilities into another two parts, so in two steps, you have isolated the problem from 100% down to 25%. Then in another two divisions you should know what the failure was. Of course human error can send you down the wrong path, but then you start all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment