Tuesday, June 28, 2016

One more windows nightmare

Back in 2013, I decided to rip all of our CD collection music to one of my Windows laptops and then transferred them to my external backup drive and then sold the hundreds of CD’s we had. I spent a week or two ripping them and all seemed well so I sold the CD’s. It was too late when I found out that not all of the individual albums were loaded onto the system and some were out of the regular order and the names of the songs were mixed up and some songs were truncated before their ending.
Fast forward to 2014, I scanned all of my old pictures to my other Windows laptop and then transferred them to my backup external drive over a period of 34 days in March and April. Each day I would scan a set of pictures with a different folder number starting with 1 and going to 34 and then back them up. Yesterday I was looking for a particular picture for a story. That’s when I discovered that the 34 different folders did not the pictures I had scanned, but all had the same set of one day’s pictures and they were all jumbled in a different sequence.
That was all done using Windows seven. Now that I have upgraded to Windows ten and at least with it I have more of the songs I had ripped and the songs have the correct title with them.

I cannot explain how that happened since the machine did all the work of ripping and scanning and all I did was hit the button to back them up. I have found Windows to be very unreliable with things through the years with Windows 98, Me, Vista, Xp, 7 and the jury is still out on 10, but I am liking it the more I use it. I am finding out that the more I use my Chromebook, things go so much more smoothly and less annoying. With the Chrome operating system things are automatically backed up in the cloud and there’s no funny business so far in the last 14 months. It does everything 90% of users would require. I like it. The system is not for heavy-duty video-game players or for hard-core photo editing or video editing, but for the rest, it seems fine for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment