Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Saint Louis Cardinal Trivia

         I was watching the American Pickers TV show on the History channel today. The pickers found a Beechnut tobacco poster from the 1930s era. The poster had Dizzy and Paul Dean, Saint Louis pitchers at the time. They were great pitchers and won the world series for the Cardinals in 1934. Dizzy was a braggart, while Paul (just as good) was a more quiet man.
         I saw something about them when I was a boy in the fifties. I asked my grandfather about them. He was a huge Cardinals fan and actually played catcher for the old Saint Louis Browns before the nineteen-twenties.
         He told me about an afternoon double-header at the old Sportsman’s Park in Saint Louis. Dizzy pitched the first game and hurled a one-hitter. Paul pitched the second game and threw a no-hitter. After the games, the sportscaster interviewed them. He asked Dizzy what he thought about the day. Dizzy replied if he knew Paul was going to throw a no-hitter he would have hurled one himself. Grandpa thought Dizzy may have done it.
         Here’s some quotes from Dizzy Dean and some about him. I wish I could have ever seen him pitch. He and Satchel Paige were perhaps the best pitchers ever and one of Dizzy’s quotes attests to that fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment