Monday, May 16, 2016

Movies I Like

          I was watching an old movie yesterday on Turner Classic Movies. The title was, "Going my way," a 1944 Oscar winner with Bing Crosby. I recognized a theme that ran through many old Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland films. The  main characters get into a bind for an amount money that is impossible to attain, that is until they come up with a song and/or a dance routine that magically earns all the dollars needed to sustain them.
          Most movies are written with a formula called a three act timeline. In act one the characters are introduced. In act two the protagonist is met with an impossible situation that he/she must overcome. Act three rises to a climax and the protagonist meets that situation and overcomes it. It's a pretty simple formula to follow, but of course writing an 80 to 120 page script is obviously not an easy thing to do. I like movies with a happy ending. I hated endings where John Wayne died, as in "Sands of Iwo Jima and "The Cowboys" but those movies were both good enough that I have watched them many times.
          I am a big fan of the movies of the thirties and forties. They are simple and entertaining. The thirties movies (made during the great depression) were in large part about wealthy people who were always out in fantastic night clubs constantly lighting cigarettes and drinking fancy cocktails, which they never paid for or finished. They dressed in tuxedos and gorgeous floor length gowns and rode in chauffeured limousines. I never liked getting dressed up, but for some reason I enjoy seeing people doing that. I know there were classic movies made about poor people, "Grapes of Wrath" for instance, but when people were poor in the thirties, they liked to see movies about others attaining material success. The forties movies, like the thirties were mostly cranked out in roughly a week's time. That astounds me how that was done. In those days, there was more acting, and less action scenes.
          If you have a definite movie era or type, I would be interested in hearing about it and what type movies you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment