Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Microsoft Nightmares

         Microsoft windows has been a vast improvement over the years with computers, but it has always bugged me. Each new operating system may have its benefits, but they always seem to change how we do the routine things that we do every day. Both of my laptops recently developed a problem where after startup the processors would run at 100% though the system was doing nothing. My windows 7 has 2 processors, one was at 100% while the other was idle, so I could at least work with it. The windows Vista only has 1 processor, so it is impossible to do anything with it.
         I had to reset the windows 7 all the way back to factory settings on day one and wipe out all of my programs and files. Lucky for me I have all of them backed up to an external drive. As long as I was back to square one, I went ahead and upgraded to windows 10 and things seem to be looking good.
        The Vista machine will be more difficult. That one is the only computer I ever had that I did not make recovery disks for. I tried to start in what they call safe mode and then start processes one at a time to see what was hanging the processor up, but that did not do much at all.
        I called my old friend Kevin for advice and he has some magical mystery device that will help me salvage the old Vista computer. I was ready to take an 8 pound sledge hammer to it yesterday. It is amazing how an 8 pound sledge hammer can take care of most any problem and make me feel so much better about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment