Friday, July 25, 2014

U.S. Navy Frogman

We were traveling back in the way back time machine today as we sipped our afternoon drinks. Somehow I stumbled on to a memory that goes back to the early fifties. I was a small child and every morning I would eat my cereal and being old enough to read, I read the cereal boxes. I read where I could (with enough box tops) send for a U.S. navy frogman action figure. Getting the box tops was no problem, but sending them in and waiting six weeks for the frogman to come was a nightmare, until it finally arrived. The frogman had one foot that was enlarged so I could pack it with baking soda and put it in a sink full of water. The chemical reaction propelled the frogman up and down through the water until the frogman stopped. I relayed this to Joyce and she remembered her grandparents had sent for the same frogman for her. Both of us could still remember playing with that same toy. Neither of us know what happened to those frogmen. They went, I suppose, the way of so many childhood toys.

Thanks to all who responded to the story about Sam McDowell. He was one of the really good guys a person meets in his/her lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment