Monday, June 2, 2014

An Adventure in Mowing

Saturday was the first day I had to get out and mow for over two weeks. I started out with the push mower to get that shaggy grass that grows along the roadside. I headed down the road from the mail box heading south. Now our road has a 45 mph speed limit and few of us think of it as anything more than a suggestion, most believe that 60 is more appropriate. There is only about a one foot wide shoulder, so I am exposed when I am mowing with the push mower. I try to keep an eye on the road so I can leap for cover when a car comes racing down the hill. Unfortunately there is one spot where an approaching car cannot see me and I cannot see the car until it is right on top of me. Well I feel confident that the reader already knows what is coming next in this story. I was right at that point when a car came racing down the road and damn near took my ass off. Now you would not think that a 68 year old man could do a three-foot vertical leap like a jack rabbit with a load of buckshot in its posterior, but I did! I think from now on I will leave the roadside mowing to the county boys who are hired for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment