Monday, July 22, 2013

The Bluejacket's Manual

Monday July 22, 2013 I received my copy of the 1944 edition of “The Bluejacket’s Manual” today.
I ordered it from an Amazon sub-vendor last week.
I was issued a copy of the 1963 edition when I joined the navy and never read it.
The Bluejacket’s Manual is still printed and I should have read my personal edition.
I don’t know what ever happened to it.
I also ordered a 2009 edition, just to see how things have changed in the navy.
I am still looking for a 1963 edition, but they are not easy to find.
Pictures below:
The first is a depiction of battle stations, 1944 style.

This is a boson’s chair for sailors to hang over the side of a ship to chip and repaint.
Note this sailor is hanging out high above an open sea.

This is just part of the manual of arms all sailors learned in boot camp.

This is part of semaphore used to relay between ships during radio silence.
It was still practiced by signalmen throughout the sixties.






No comments:

Post a Comment