Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Signs



Red breasted robins are in the yard turning over leaves all around,
Announcing that spring is here,
But I do not believe it.
Tufts of emerald green grass are popping up waving at me,
Announcing that spring is here,
But I do not believe it.
Daffodils are braced against the winds with bright yellow signs,
Announcing that spring is here,
But I do not believe it.
Tornadoes shout out all over the countryside,
Announcing that spring is here,
But I do not believe it.
The white blossoms of the Nanking cherries hold fast against the winds.
The long willowy branches of the forsythia are turning from brown to bright yellow.
The purple leaves of the Robinson crabapple are on full display.
The Amur maple opens its green leaves to the sun.
The purple Grecian windflower’s tiny petals buckle and sway against the winds,
Announcing that spring is here,
But I do not believe it.
Where are the lilacs with their purple and white cones?
The lilacs always unfurl their colors and delightful scents before the last frost of winter.
The oaks are still harboring their wrinkled brown leaves.
Those leaves rattle like death when the wind blows.
When the last oak gives up the last brown leaf and springs forth with a shiny green leaf,
Then I will believe winter is over and spring is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment