Thursday, November 18, 2010

Duct tape

We left the city and bought the farm (pun intended) some 21 years ago.


One of the first things I discovered on the farm was duct tape. Duct tape is a wonderful invention. Duct tape can hold just about anything together! My washing machine door has been held tight for a dozen years since it was rattling and I popped it off to find the reason. I never did figure out the problem, but never could get the door back on correctly, so I duct taped it and it has held ever since. There is only one bad thing about duct tape; once you lay down the roll of tape, it is gone forever! The tape becomes invisible. In the 21 years we have lived here, I have never made my way to the end of the roll. I use a new roll to start a job; lay it down, and never again find that same roll again. I do not know if those rolls have legs that come out at night and scurry the roll away to preserve its status quo or the spirits of my ancestors are having fun moving the rolls around so they can have a big laugh at my expense. Whatever the truth is, it is very annoying. Today I had a brand-new roll I used for a home chore and I cannot help but wonder if I will ever see it again. Where in the hell are all those other rolls I have bought and never found again?

No comments:

Post a Comment